Aloe Vera is a popular home remedy for treating and healing skin complaints. It’s also used as a nutritional supplement and even cleanser. However, how long does aloe vera last? Here are the different things you can do with your Aloe Vera.
The longevity of your Aloe Vera depends on whether it is fresh or dry. If it is fresh, then aloe vera last for up to two weeks. If it is dried, it can last for up to two years. For its medicinal value, the best thing to do is to freeze It. This will help keep the Aloe Vera from going bad and also retain its nutritional value.
What is aloe vera gel? Does aloe vera gel expire?
Aloe gel is a concentrated plant extract. It is made by extracting the inner gel sac from Aloe Vera. To get the liquid out of its cells, you need to remove the wall and cut out its skin. This process can cause it to become more susceptible to bacteria. So, if you have bought frozen aloe vera, be careful when you use it because when it thaws it can become contaminated with bacteria.
Aloe vera gel is readily available from any herb shop. But it may have a different appearance from the gel you get at a health food store. As with any supplement you buy, make sure that it has not been exposed to heat, light or oxygen.
How long does aloe vera last?
does aloe gel expire?Aloe differs in quality depending on where you buy it and how fresh it is. There are different things that affect its shelf life and the aloe’s appearance and properties will change over time.
How to Store Off The Shelf Aloe Vera Gel
When you buy it at a store, make sure that aloe vera gel does not have a smell of alcohol or vinegar. If that happens it means the aloe has been dehydrated or heated and this can reduce its nutritional value. If the container is see through, check the color of the gel. It should be clear with no discoloration or crystallization.
How to Store Home-Grown Aloe Vera
If you want to use your own aloe vera, then you need to keep in mind that it has a very short shelf life. Keep it in a cool and dark place like your fridge.
Store in a Cool, Dry Place
When you store it, keep it in a cool and dry place. Not in the fridge or any other moist environment. If you place it on top of the fridge for example, then the vegetable oil will condense and may change the gel’s appearance. However, do not put it in a completely dark area because this will also reduce its shelf life.
How to Store In The Fridge
If you want to store your aloe in your fridge, then make sure that it is kept on a small plate or container because there is no way of checking how much oil has leaked from your plant.
How to Store For long Term
You can also freeze Aloe Vera gel for long storage.
- Make sure to wash the outside of your aloe Vera plant thoroughly before you freeze it. Take out the gel from its leaves and trim off any brown edges.
- Next, put it into small containers with lid or zip lock bags and freeze it. If you leave the aloe vera without packaging, then the water will expand inside the container when frozen and may cause leaks
- While freezing, keep an eye on it so that there are no changes in color or texture.
- You can also add a small amount of carrot juice to your aloe vera to help preserve its freshness when frozen as well as boost its nutritional value.
Keep it in Your Refrigerator/Freezer
If you want to store Aloe Vera in your refrigerator or freezer, do not forget to keep an eye on it and replace it if something happens to it.
How Long Does Aloe Vera Last?
- Store your aloe vera gel in a cool area away from the sun, heat, oxygen and chemical compounds like bleach.
- Keep your aloe vera refrigerated when possible if you don’t use it often but remember not to freeze it in case the container breaks open when the water expands.
- When storing your home-grown Aloe Vera plant, remove any discolored leaves then wash the gel off its skin before freezing or drying for later use.
Read More: Can dogs have honey dew?