Is it that simply cutting your salt intake and going to the gym will help reduce high blood pressure? Yet many people struggle with the diagnosis of high stress or Hypertension or Low anxiety and Hypotension. And when you visit a doctor to determine which bucket your blood pressure falls high or small.
Now that the importance of monitoring blood pressure is on the rise, why do we start monitoring blood pressure in our homes?
This article will be a rundown on how to measure blood pressure at home accurately.
Let’s get the basics right.
Blood pressure is the force exerted by circulating blood against the walls of the body’s arteries, significant vessels in the body. It is when the blood pressure is high; that we call Hypertension. Blood Pressure Measurement is written as two numbers.
- One is systolic represents the pressure in blood vessels when the heart contracts or beats.
- The other represents the pressure in the vessels when the heart rests between
Hypertension is detected if systolic pressure must be >= 140 mmHg on both days of measuring. Diastolic blood pressure is on both days >= 90mmHg.
Hypotension is detected if the reading of less than 90/60 mm Hg.
How to measure Blood pressure at home?
Your blood pressure clues how much work your heart does to pump blood through your arteries. It’s one of the vital signs that your body shows you.
Measuring blood pressure at home can:
- It helps with early diagnosis instead of leading to conditions such as diabetes or kidney issues.
- It helps track your treatment as it lets doctors make decisions such as adjusting dosages or adjusting medications
- It helps cut visits to the doctor, thereby cutting your
- It helps maintain control and gives a stronger sense of
Here’s what you must do before you measure your blood pressure:
- Avoid things that can raise your blood pressure in a short term
Never measure your blood pressure within half an hour of eating, smoking or after drinking caffeinated drinks or exercising. They can raise the temperature temporarily.
- Wear loose-fitting clothes
Wear a short-sleeved t-shirt to push quickly, nothing tight.
- Take 5 minutes of rest before taking the reading
Sit somewhere with your back supported on a firm surface with feet flat on the floor.
- Make sure you are relaxed and
It will reflect in the blood pressure if you are anxious or uncomfortable.
What’s considered a normal or healthy blood pressure Range?
Because blood pressure is a highly customized vital sign, it can vary significantly from person to person. While some individuals may naturally have low blood pressure, others tend to have higher blood pressure.
Anything with a blood pressure of less than 120/80 mm Hg is generally considered normal. Your blood pressure will be influenced by:
- Any drugs
- Medical conditions
Wait two to five minutes to check if your blood pressure is 120/80 mm Hg or higher. Nowadays, with technology, blood pressure monitoring has become very easy.
Blood pressure monitoring with Digital BP Monitor has become easy.
They are pretty easy to use than aneroid units. The digital monitor has a gauge and stethoscope as one unit. It also has an error indicator. It displays blood pressure on the small screen, making it easier to read. Digital monitors are suitable for deaf patients as they don’t have to listen to heartbeats.
The procedures for using a digital monitor are listed below.
- To start the device, turn the power
- With the push of a button, the cuff will inflate on the automatic variants. The cuff on the manual models needs to be By quickly squeezing the rubber bulb, you can do this.
- The mechanical gadget will gradually release air when the cuff has
- To receive a blood pressure reading, look at the display screen. You will display your systolic and diastolic pressures. In your record, note the measurement. Systolic pressure always precedes diastolic pressure. 120/80 is a good
Press the exhaust button to let out the entire amount of air in the cuff. Wait two to three minutes before repeating the measurement if necessary.
Thus, measuring blood pressure at home helps warn if any or keep a regular check.